|
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough. |
|
|
Jason Mraz feat Colbie Caillat - Lucky MessagesPrevious Posts |
Monday, March 12, 2007 Life Decisions
Just read the headlines on today's newspaper about the increase in IT jobs.
Deja Vu. Back in 2000, when I was deciding on which course to go in NUS (NUS was my only option, NTU was too far away and seems ulu-fied. SMU and SIM werent that "popular" at that time), the job market was very good for IT professionals. Sad to say, that wasnt the case when I graduated. And now, availability of IT jobs are everywhere. However it doesnt apply to me now anyway since I have decided in Uni year one that IT is not for me and have found my passion for events, PR and Corporate Communications. However my degree doesnt really help in getting jobs in this area. So the only thing is to build on my work experience. Was sending Claire home the other day after prayer meeting and she mentioned about how Shaun has been so blessed in always being able to do the things that he loves, academically, that he feels passionate about, enjoying and excelling in them at the same time. So good. Reflecting on my life decisions in school, I have always been following the decisions or advice set by my parents. Go to Science stream, go to JC, go to Uni. Be a doctor, lawyer (so typical) etc coz career-wise, it is better. Actually I was more interested in Arts and anything that can get me into the entertainment industry. (Dont think my family knows about it). Wahhaaa... But I think as stereotypical Singaporean parents, this career choice "has no future la!" And being born into a middle-classed family where parents have to work hard to make ends meet, a good career means good money means good life later on. And I admit that I wasnt forceful in my decisions, simply because, parents say no future means no future lor...so follow their advice means can get good job and earn good money later on mah. Why not? I also want to live in landed property and have car and go on many holidays AND....have many shoes, bags, clothes...LV, PRADA, GUCCI etc. hahaha... Studying wasnt easy for me in sec school, my favourite subject wasnt Physics or Chem (simply disliked them) but was Literature. My most hated subject in JC was physics. I just cant understand how things work and I have to resort to my own ways and means in understanding how to apply the formulas. And I gave them all back when I graduated. When in Computing, I hated programming, my favourite was doing media related stuff, reading business communications books, studying the languages...doing other extra modules like perfumes and cosmetics..whahaa...anything that doesnt deal with programming. I like doing papers, writing, researching not programming. And I had a CCA in Uni which allows me to organise and participate in events and on many occasions, be an emcee..these are the experiences in Uni that I would say I really enjoyed and it has made up for the bad experiences in programmming. And of course ...meeting Paul. :) Which got me to thinking on how as parents, we would want the best for our kids. Would I allow little Chloe to choose what she wants to do in the future...or advise her on being a doctor, lawyer etc..hmm.. I mean if she wants to be a Mediacorp actress, would I say no? haha.. I still feel that enjoying and having the passion for something that you want to do is better than doing what seems best in the market, which may not be cut out for you. Well, I am fortunate in a way that I realised what I like to do when I was Uni and it wasnt THAT late. I mean some people still dont know what they like or want to do now. I mean I could always go for courses to improve my chances of getting jobs that I want, upgrading myself so that I can climb the ladder faster. Of course I decided that I no need to study so much la...since my aim now is to be tai-tai. It is so tempting to always think of ways and means to earn more and more money to have a better life since the standard of living in Singapore is always increasing. But is having more money means more happiness? I mean I always quote that God will provide for all those who love Him and follow in His ways. And I have always been comfortable and contented in whatever I have been given. Just that thought of "wouldnt hurt by having just that little bit more" has crossed my mind sometimes. But I admit I am not that ambitious. Happy-go-lucky is good for me. Those who knows what they want to do when they are young are very fortunate. At least they know what they want and what to do to get there. And better if they keep focused and determined to do it. To those who are still searching, nothing is too late actually. And I guess that whatever that you have gone through, whether good or bad, give thanks...for God has put you in these places for a reason. To learn from your experiences in life and it is more rewarding and enriching in that way. And until now, although I may have wished that I have done this and that before but I trust that God has his good plans for me. And the main thing is to be happy and do whatever you want now as you'll never know when you will go. Like my tagline says, "You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough."
link | posted by alwaysDaBabe at 9:07 AM |
0 Comments:Want to Post a Comment? |