|
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough. |
|
|
Jason Mraz feat Colbie Caillat - Lucky MessagesPrevious Posts |
Friday, March 04, 2005 PARENTS...whatever...
THEY WILL ALWAYS NAG. ESPECIALLY YOUR MOTHER.
Early in the morning, as I sat down to enjoy my morning cup of coffee and my plate of cheese omelette, my mum started asking me questions about my cousin. "Has she gotten a job?" she asked. I replied "Yah she did, just", fully expecting what is to come next. "Really ar? That's good. So where is she working at? Is it far? What is the company name? What is she doing? How much is her pay? Good anot?" My mum started blasting her questions like a machine gun in a war. I just told her all that I know which is not much. The war has begun. With each comment she made, it reflects on me. Indirectly nagging and obviously making comparisons. From my cousin, she then moved on to my other cousins and then my neighbours and it will be never-ending. It won't just end there, no, any moment she hears or sees something, she will start reflecting on me. Every sentence is like a jelly fish stinging you like that in Bridget Jones Diary. Me: "Her working place is quite far, somewhere near Boon Lay." My cousin stays in Hougang and so do I. Mum: "Far? Yours also far what. Take bus need more than one hour you know." Me: "No mah, considered nearer mah. Take mrt quite fast already, also from there go town very fast." Mum: "Fast meh, from our house to town nearer, where got fast." Me to myself: ya ya whatever...STING NO. 1 Mum: "What company? Pay how?" Me: "It is a non-profit organisation. She say her pay should be slightly less than $2K." Mum: "Is it? Your pay also not high. The 11th floor neighbour's daughter, do 4 years honours course in Uni, now earning $4-5K you know." Me to myself: ya ya whatever...STING NO. 2 Mum: "What she do there?" Me: "Assistant to the Chairman of the council, doing admin stuff, research..." Mum: "Research? Research good, can learn more everyday. Like that got progress, not like you, newspaper also don't want to read." Me to myself: ya ya whatever...STING NO. 3. I do actually read the newspapers in the office. Its part of my job. Mum: "You ar, everyday come home so late. Tell you so many times already. Dunno what you do outside. Don't know how to rest more. See your face no colour one, not healthy looking. Hair also getting lesser and lesser, still dont sleep early. Contact lenses wear so many hours. Need to rest your eyes you know. Cannot wear so long one, wait your eyesight get worse. Eyes look so tired. Everytime go his house and sleep is it. Wait his mother think you what kind of girl, always go pple's house and sleep. Havent married yet already like that. Wait his parents don't have good impression of you." Me to myself: ya ya whatever...STING NO. 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. I immediately got up from my chair and walked to the basin to rinse my mouth. My mum continued... "You dont come home so late can anot? Sleep so little will grow old faster one you know. Tell you dont believe is it?" STING No. 9. I walked out of the kitchen. Forever, they will always nag. Once they got hold of an opportunity, they will continue non-stop. One thing will lead to another and suddenly you will start thinking, what did I just say? How come from that can lead to this? Why can't they say encouraging words? In the past, I would have defended myself. But after a while, I just got tired of defending. Sometimes it saves the hassle by just keeping quiet. However, I think maybe the problem lies with not communicating enough with them. Telling them what you do etc. Do your parents really know what you do outside? Your friends and colleague see how successful you are when you are at work or love life. But when at home, your parents will always treat you like kids maybe coz they don't know exactly what you do or have not seen you perform at work or talking in front of a crowd. You will always be their little sons and daughters. All they see is how much money you can bring home, how big your house or car is and that is their measure of success. I quickly got changed and left the house asap. I should have known better.
link | posted by alwaysDaBabe at 9:18 AM |
0 Comments:Want to Post a Comment? |